October Check-In and New Play Materials!
about 1 month ago
– Tue, Oct 27, 2020 at 11:55:04 PM
Raucous raccoons! It’s time for our October 2020 update on Root: The RPG!
New Play Materials!
We have some good stuff to share with you this month—an up-to-date and improved version of the play materials for Root: The RPG!
These play materials have had a few changes to them that we’ll get to in a bit, but here’s the most exciting new detail…
That’s right! The play materials here include fully playable versions of the Adventurer, the Harrier, and the Ronin!
Here are some of the other changes for you to keep in mind:
- We changed the way Load works, vastly simplifying it. Now, you don’t have to worry about individual “weights” for each piece of equipment. An item is either “equipment” large enough to use up 1 Load, or it isn’t. Some particularly large pieces of equipment (with the Large tag) might take up 2 Load. And that means a vagabond can carry a Load of 4 + their Might without being burdened—so, a vagabond with 1 Might can carry 5 Load without being burdened.
- Every playbook now has a “Starting Value” it uses to buy equipment at character creation. The amount of starting value changes a bit to match a balance of available roguish feats, as well—so the Thief may have the most roguish feats out of any playbook to begin, but starts with the least money to spend!
- We added new Reputation moves for high (or low) levels of Reputation. If you get particularly famous or particularly infamous, new ways to manipulate the factions open up to you—from genuinely changing minds, to calling upon major faction resources, to wielding a fearsome reputation to get your way.
- We changed the Travel moves to tie into the fiction more thoroughly. Previously, they drained resources and had interesting consequences, but the decision of how much of a resource to spend on the move was purely mechanical. Now, it’s much more tied to the fiction.
- We adjusted Natures, Drives, and the Background Questions. We wanted to make sure that all the playbooks’ Natures can be fulfilled closer to the beginning of a conflict, so you clear exhaustion BEFORE getting into trouble. Drives were honed a bit to make sure they pointed at achievable, interesting goals. And the Background Question for “Why did you become a vagabond” was revamped to point at “Why you are a vagabond,” demanding players think a bit about why their characters continue to choose this life.
- We cleaned up the text and framing of numerous moves, mostly weapon skill moves and playbook moves. The connections as well went through a bit of refining, to clean up and clarify the text and effects.
You can find the newly updated play materials right here: https://bit.ly/31OvQ9Q
Production Update: October
We’ve got a few other cool bits to share with you, too! Firstly, we have all the art for the next 10 playbooks we’re working on!
We’re very excited to use these playbooks to really push at the boundaries of Root: The RPG!
Beyond that, we’re still putting together our remaining materials.
- The books continue to be refined and written—and in fact many of the changes and improvements that came from really scouring through the play materials for the book are reflected in the new play materials above. They’re undergoing editing and writing close together so we can get them done quickly.
- We’re also close to finished on the Deck of Equipment and Deck of Denizens, and we’ll share more from those with you next month!
- The GM Screen has already had an initial layout, but we’re going to wait to finalize that until we can do a full assessment of the tools on the screen—we want to make it as useful as possible!
- We’ve had an initial design of the bag already, and we’re excited to see how it comes together!
- The clearing booklet is underway, with one of the pre-made clearings already all but done and two more in editing! Thanks to our writers Danielle Lauzon, Elizabeth Chaipraditkul, and Simon Moody!
- We’re working on the maps, trying to balance the twin masters of “beauty” and “utility”—it’s not easy, but we think you’re going to love the result!
- You’ve already seen the dice! We’re still very happy with them and how they use the symbols from the faction boards of Root: A Game of Woodland Might and Right.
Gray Skies With Snows Await
As always, we’re supremely grateful for your support and your patience. Thank you all so much! Stay tuned for our update next month!
2 months ago
– Fri, Sep 18, 2020 at 12:59:47 AM
Boisterous bunnies! It’s time for our September 2020 update on Root: The RPG!
Production Update: September
Everything is coming together as work continues on all the myriad pieces of the project! As mentioned previously, we’ve adopted a strategy of working on multiple elements at the same time, pushing them all forward. To that end, we have our Deck of Denizens in layout, and our Deck of Equipment is all but finished, ready for proofing!
The Deck features 35 different weapons, all fleshed out and ready to use, with interesting mixes of tags and abilities. It also has the weapon moves themselves put on cards for easy reference while you play!
We’ve also received revised production samples from our printer, ensuring that we’re satisfied with the quality of paper in things like the clearing booklet and the notepads. Our printer, Longpak, has been great to work with as we’ve been going through every item, making sure they conform to our desire for the best possible products!
Meanwhile, we’re working on the 4 different maps for the game—getting them set up to be useful for myriad campaigns—and we have some fantastic work from additional writers going on for the clearing booklet!
Work on the core book proceeds apace as we’re editing and honing the text—special thanks to our new copy editor, Kate Unrau! Stay tuned—we’re planning on sharing significant previews of text and mechanics with you next month while we get ready to send you a full PDF copy of the core book in the fall!
In general, our plan right now is to have everything printing by the end of the year, so we can start delivery towards the beginning of 2021. We know this is delayed from our initial timelines, and we appreciate your patience in waiting for the game. Believe us—we want to get this into your paws!
Changing Leaves Litter the Road
As always, thank you for your continued support, interest, and patience! We’ll have more to share with you, including new rules elements, next month. Until then, may the Woodland’s paths be kind to you!
August Check-in and Samples
4 months ago
– Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 03:57:19 AM
Erroneous eagles! It’s time for our first-half-of-August 2020 update on Root: the RPG!
GenCon and Free RPG Day Overview
GenCon online happened just over a week ago, and it was a fantastic experience! Thank you to everyone who came to play in one of Magpie Games’s online events!
Mark Diaz Truman and I (Brendan Conway) did an interview with Simon Moody about Root: The RPG! We talk about a bunch of things ranging from design topics to the story of the project, so check it out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=REIzB66hQGw
And then, Mark, Sarah Doombringer, Marissa Kelly, and I all played a 2-hour demo game of Root: The RPG! It was a great, fun game with a great cliffhanger ending! Check that out here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWwHSR2i8Vw
Finally, the Free RPG Day booklet is still live in PDF form, and we have a few more copies if you want to get your hands on a physical booklet. You can find the PDF here for free: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/318429/Root-The-Pellenicky-Glade-Quickstart?cPath=8460_33580
And you can order your own copy of the physical booklet right here: https://www.magpiegames.com/product/frpgd-pellenicky-glade-quickstart/
These are still limited in quantity—once we run out, we’re out, so make sure you nab yours if you want one to hold!
Production Update: August
We’re still pushing ahead on the text and final rules of the game! We’re refining playbooks, faction mechanics, equipment rules, and more, all focused on making the game and the core book as excellent as possible! We’ll share more about some of those changes and refinements in future updates.
We also received a whole bunch of white samples from our manufacturer, Longpack Games! We have a few things we’re going to check on for quality issues and to see if we can get a few other changes made, but on the whole we’re very happy with what they’ve shown us. The two hardcover books fit beautifully in the slipcase sample; the GM screen feels good and sturdy; and we were all impressed by the bag and how well it fit everything!
Here’s a picture of some of the pieces further along in development—the two notepads and the dice! We’re very pleased with how all these turned out, with only minor changes to bring them to their final version!
Trails To and Fro
We’re still hard at work making every single piece of this game as excellent as we can, and we really appreciate your ongoing support! Whenever we get in some new piece or sample or design that makes us all excited, we’re reminded of how awesome it is that you helped to fund such an incredible project! Thank you all again, and we’ll check back in about a month!
Free RPG Day Booklet Live Today!
4 months ago
– Fri, Jul 31, 2020 at 01:43:47 AM
Huzzah, denizens! The Free RPG Day booklet for Root: The RPG is going live in just a short time on our webstore and on DriveThruRPG now!
We have a limited quantity of copies in our warehouse, so if you want yours, make sure you put in your order when we go live at 1 pm EST! The booklet is free, and only our standard shipping rates apply. You can order your copy here: https://www.magpiegames.com/product/frpgd-pellenicky-glade-quickstart/
And you can nab the PDF from DTRPG right here at no cost: https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/318429/Root-The-Pellenicky-Glade-Quickstart
You can also still find it at your local participating game store, which you can look up here: https://www.freerpgday.com/gamers/
Thanks to everyone for your support! If you nab a copy, let us know what you think!
Free RPG Day News!
5 months ago
– Thu, Jul 16, 2020 at 10:49:00 PM
Coruscating cats! We’ve got some specifics to share regarding the Free RPG Day Root: The RPG Booklet!
Free RPG Day Booklet - Released July 25
Free RPG Day is July 25 this year! On July 25, you’ll be able to find the booklet for Root: The RPG Day in participating retailers! You can find participating retailers here: https://www.freerpgday.com/gamers/
Just like the name implies, the booklet is free to grab where you find it!
In the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, we’re also aware that there are many who either cannot or would prefer not to go to their local game store—and we definitely want people to keep safe. So we’re going to make the same Free RPG Day booklet for Root: The RPG available from our webstore—for free! Only our standard shipping rates for the webstore will apply (and if you get more than just the Free RPG Day booklet, then you’ll still only pay the normal shipping for your whole cart)!
We only have a limited supply of copies of the Free RPG Day booklet in our warehouse, so if you’re interested, make sure you get yours early. You’ll be able to order them on July 30, at 1 pm EST.
We’ll also be making the Free RPG Day booklet available in PDF form on DriveThruRPG on July 30.
So if you want to nab your copy, be sure to check out which local game stores are participating retailers on July 25, or grab your copy from our Magpie Games webstore on July 30th!